As you may know, I really love granny squares (you can have a look here for all my designs). Some time ago I had the privilege of collaborating on a fun project with the amazing designers Celine Semaan and Sharna Moore.
Together we designed 100 squares and several projects, all with 3D elements. These designs have been put together in a wonderful book called 3D Granny Squares! It seems like the book has been very well received and is a top ranking crochet book on Amazon. I hope you enjoy the book and all the designs as much as I enjoyed creating them.
3D Granny Squares: 100 crochet patterns for pop-up granny squares
3D Granny Squares takes the humble granny square to the next level with 100 three dimensional granny square motifs. Each motif features a 3D element that is integral to the granny square design, rather than simply stitched on top of a square.
The book is divided into several themes, including food, animals, flowers, celebrations and more. 3D Granny Squares is filled with a wide variety of designs. You are guaranteed to find a pop up square to suit just about any occasion.
Not only are there lots of motifs to choose from, but 3D Granny Squares also includes 10 different granny square projecst. From home decor items to baby toys and wearables; these projects are a great opportunity to put your 3D granny squares to use.
Some notes about the book
- The book is written using US terminology. However, UK readers, do not fret! A handy conversion chart is included for reference.
- There are both written instructions and charts*, to cater for your preferred method of following patterns.
- All the squares were designed using Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK. A key for all the shades used is included on each design. Use it to create an exact replica of the squares you see in the book. Although, of course, you are free to let your creativity run wild!
- All the techniques you need to complete the squares are included in both written and graphic form. This includes how to finish off your squares and how to work the different types of stitches needed.
- A wide variety of skill levels are catered for too. Therefore, 3D Granny Squares is suitable for both beginners and experienced crocheters alike.
WHERE TO GET THE BOOK
All in all, 3D Granny Squares is a lovely book and certainly a unique and modern take on the humble granny square. This book would certainly make a lovely gift! (If you are looking for more gift ideas for yarn lovers, then look at this huge list I put together here). If you don’t already own a copy of 3D Granny Squares, you can snag one via the button below***
That’s all for now. Happy stitching, friends!
Yours in craft, Caitie
*There has been some feedback from buyers that the text and charts in some of the designs were a bit small and faint. This feedback has been noted by the publishers and has been resolved in all prints going forward.
**Thank you to David & Charles for the photography used in this article.
***Thoresby Cottage is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.