Itty bitty crochet kitty | free crochet cat pattern

The itty bitty crochet kitty is the cutest little crochet cat pattern. It works up very quickly (great for beginners!) and would make the sweetest gift for any cat lover.

This project is perfect if you are looking to take a dive into making amigurumi. If you are new to amigurumi, head over to my tips for making amigurumi to ensure your project turns out perfectly.

You can personalise your kitty too by adding stripes or spots, changing up the colors or even using fluffy novelty yarn!

crochet cat pattern

Materials

DK cotton (I used Vinni’s Colors, Nikkim. Paintbox yarns would do just fine too!). Main body color as well as contrast color(s) for the facial details

3.25mm crochet hook (larger cat)

2.75mm crochet hook (smaller cat)

Yarn needle

Stuffing

Notes:
This pattern is written using US crochet terms. If you are unfamiliar with any of the abbreviations, please visit the crochet terms page.

Have a look at my tips for crocheting amigurumi before you start this project!

It’s also worth looking at my tutorial for the magic ring if you are unfamiliar with how to make one.

Some parts of this pattern are worked in continuous rounds. Don’t slip stitch to close the ring unless instructed to do so!

>> PIN NOW, MAKE LATER! <<

CROCHET CAT PATTERN

Body

R1. Mr 6 sc (6)

R2. sc 2 in each (12)

R3. [sc in next st, 2 sc in next st] repeat around (18)

R4. [sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] repeat around (24)

R5. [sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st] repeat around (30)

R6. [sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st] repeat around (36)

R7 – 8. sc around (36)

R9. [sc in next 4 sts, sc2tog] repeat around (30)

R10 – 12. Sc around (30)

R13. [sc in next 3 sts, sc2tog] repeat around (24)

R14 – 17. sc around (24)

R18. [sc in next 2 sts, sc2tog] repeat around (18)

R19. sc around (18)

Stuff. (*If you are adding safety eyes, do so now!)

R20. Hold the top two edges together and crochet through both sides.
dc into the first st, sc into the next 7 sts, dc into the last st. Bind off and weave in ends.

Tail:

R1. Mr 5 sc (5)

R2. 2 sc in each (10)

R3. sc around (10)

R4. [sc2tog, sc in next 3], repeat (8)

R5 – 6. sc around (8)

R7. [sc2tog, sc in next 2] repeat (6)

Stuff the end of the tail lightly.

R8 – 15. sc around (6)

Bind off and leave a tail for joining. No need to add more stuffing!

If you want to add stripes, change color every 2 – 3 rounds.

You can have great fun adding character to your little kitty!

The eyes are stitched in place first, approximately 1 – 2 stitches apart and 5 rows down from the top. *You can also use safety eyes, but make sure to attach them before you do the final row! Stitch the ear details and nose in pink. Add cute little whiskers in a softly contrasting color and stitch any other details (such as stripes on the back). Stitch the tail in place. Give you kitty lots of little cuddles!

MORE ITTY BITTY KITTY PATTERNS!

If you loved this pattern, why not check out my kitten rattle pattern or some of the other great patterns over on the patterns page. (including an adorable Christmas hat for your kitty!) Happy stitching!

Yours in craft,

Caitie x

crochet cat pattern

77 thoughts on “Itty bitty crochet kitty | free crochet cat pattern”

• Yes, I did French knots (that I secured around the edges so that they don’t pull out) but I have also used safety eyes. Both work!

• Hi Bonny,

Of course you can use a 4mm hook! You may need to change your yarn to something slightly thicker though to make sure that the stitches are nice and tight. Your kitty will also end up being a little bigger. Happy stitching!

• Glad you like the pattern! Nope, this pattern is worked in continuous rounds (i.e. no slst between rounds, unless specifically instructed)

1. Hi Caitie, are there some rows missing from the pattern? The pattern for the body seems to jump from row 7 to 9, 10 to 13 and 14 to 18 and my cat looks rather short and wide. 🙁

• Nope, there aren’t rows missing, but I can see where you have come unstuck. If you go to row 7, you will see it says “R7 – 8. sc around”. This means that for rows 7 and 8, sc around (i.e. sc around for row 7 and sc around for row 8). Further down in the pattern the same is so for rounds 10 to 12 and again for rounds 14 to 17. I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any further questions.

2. Cutest Itty Bitty Kitty ever! I’m going crazy with all my kids home because of school closures, so I may have made far too many of these already and don’t plan to stop 🤣

3. Hi! I’m in Canada and was wondering if you could tell me what the gauge with this yarn and 3.25mm hook would be so that I can find something comparable here.

• Hello! Gauge isn’t all that important with this project, but if you use a size C hook and light worsted cotton you will get a kitty of a very similar finished size. Let me know if you have further questions!

4. Hi! I love this pattern; made some cute ones for my coworkers but I am now very curious: If I wanted a bigger kitty, other than using larger yarn/larger hook, is there a way to size this up?

• So glad you like the pattern! They will make the sweetest gifts. Using the existing pattern, the easiest way to make kitty a bit bigger is to up your yarn and hook size (as you say). To make it much bigger would require a rewrite of the pattern. You could easily make kitty a bit taller though by adding a few more rounds (around rnd 7 and rnd 14). Hope that helps!

5. Such a cute pattern! It is one of my first crochet projects, and the instructions were very easy to follow. I ended up with a grey little cat with a black striped tail. I also crocheted the little christmas hat. I will give it the hat on in December. Thank you for this adorable pattern!

6. Hi! I love this pattern and have had a coworker ask if i can make one that looks like her recently deceased cat. How do I add a white belly to this pattern so it looks like her kitty? Just trial and error?

• So glad that you like the pattern! And how lovely of you to gift on to someone who has lost their kitty. So kind of you! I think the easiest and neatest way to add a white tummy patch would be to cut one out of felt or fabric and stitch it on. Alternatively you could crochet a small oval and stitch that on. You can work a white patch into the stitches as you go, but that involves quite a bit of counting and some redesigning to figure out the placement! Let me know if that helps.

7. Thank you so much for writing this pattern! I am really enjoying making my little kitty! It’s my first amigurumi attempt and I can’t believe how well it has turned out. I am making it for my cat-liver friend as a Christmas bauble, found it by searching online and it’s just PERFECT so thank you so much! Even the Santa hat!!

8. Hi this is so cute. Was I supposed to do the french knot eyes before I closed up the cat? I didn’t do that. any way to do them after it is stuffed and sewn closed?

• So glad you like the kitty! You can sew the eyes on afterwards. I usually insert my threaded needle from the back of the cat, pull through and leave a tail hanging at the back. Work your french knot/embroidered eyes, then pull the thread back through the body and trim off both tails. You can weave it through the body a few times to secure the thread a bit more too. Hope that helps!

9. Unfortunately there are quite a few Amazon Kindle books being sold which were “written” by a variety of other authors that incorporate these photos and this pattern. Avoid buying cheap Amazon crochet patterns or at a minimum take the time to be sure that the person getting paid for them has the right to publish them! There’s a reason why some of them are so cheap.

• Thank you for this Sue! I completely agree. Those “books” have pirated free patterns and photographs (which they are prohibited from doing based on the policies of this website. They have not been given permission at all!). It is such a shame… I so appreciate that there are many more honest crafters out there though!

10. Thank you for the free pattern. These are so cute, I made two of them and the second one was much more easier, but they both turned out okay. I am sure the pattern will become a favorite with many.
    Thanks… ~~~Peace~~~

11. Hey Caitie!! Thank you so much for making this pattern; a lot of friends and I have incredibly enjoyed making our little creations.
    I wanted to ask if it was alright if I sold the cats that I made with this pattern (with credit, of course).
    Thank you again :D!!

12. Hello if I want to adapt this to make it a larger size , how many rounds would you recommend adding? I was thinking about 12-16 inch in size thank
    You!

• hmmm, that’s a bit tricksy because if you simply add lots of rounds, you will end up with a long and skinny cat, rather than an overall bigger itty bitty kitty. I’d suggest using bulkier yarn, or yarn held together and going up a few hook sizes to increase the overall size. You can add in a few extra rows to help it along a bit. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

13. Hi Caitie! Thanks for creating such an adorable crochet kitty! It’s been many years since I’ve crocheted and this is a fun way to get back into it. I would like to share your pattern and kitty photo as a take+make craft kit that we are offering to our public library patrons and wondered if that was permitted? I would credit you and provide a link to your website. We’ve been doing different craft kits during the pandemic to connect to our community and they have been a big hit. This would be a perfect intro to crocheting!
    As I’m making up 30 bags and using a slightly bigger hook for ease (3.75mm), approximately how much yarn do you think I’d need for each kitty? 35-40 yds? 15-20 g?
    Thanks again!

• Hi Ruth, I love that you are encouraging people to get crocheting! As long as it links back to me for the pattern then that is absolutely fine. I rely on the revenue generated from views on my blog (or from pattern sales) to pay for the costs of running my blog (along with other expenses!), so that link back is important. I reckon 20g should be plenty! I’d love to see some pictures of the kits or of library patrons finished projects, so feel free to share them via email or on Instagram. Happy stitching!

• Thanks Caitie! I’ll include a shout out to you as well as a link to your blog and pattern.
        Looking forward to sparking some new interest in crocheting and I’ll share any photos I get back from patrons with you.
        Thanks again and stay well!

14. Thank you, Caitie, for the free Itty Bitty Kitty pattern! This is my first time trying amigurumi. For Row 1: After I make the magic ring, do I need to chain 5 before adding 5 single crochets?

• Great that you are trying out amigurumi! The pattern is worked in continuous rounds, or spirals, so when you have worked round 1, you continue working around (no need to work any chains). Hope that makes sense!

15. Hi,
    I really want to make one of these but I dont understand any of the terminology even with the term guide… im new to this haha
    Does anyone have a video i can follow to create my own?
    Becky xx

• Hi Becky, I’m hoping to make a video for the itty bitty kitty soon! So stay tuned. I’d suggest familiarising yourself with the stitches (e.g. how to do a sc [single crochet]) and practice that so that when you get to making your kitty, it will turn out perfectly 🙂 You are also welcome to email me on hello@thoresbycottage.com for any other help you may need with the pattern.

16. Hi Caitie!

First of all, thank you so much for this pattern! I just started crocheting 3 weeks ago and this is my 3rd Amigurumi project! I am currently on Round 20 and had a question. When you say: Hold the top two edges together and crochet through both sides. — (Are you meaning you pinch them together and then crochet through 2 different stitches to bind them together?) I’m struggling to visualize this and wanted to ask before I attempted to go ahead. Thanks so much! 😀

Patrice

• Hi Patrice, so glad you are enjoying the pattern! Yes, you hold the two open edges together, and instead of stitching through just one layer of fabric/one stitch (as you have been doing) you stitch through both layers to close up the top of the kitty. Hope that helps!

17. Hello! Thank you very much for this reaaally cute kitty! My parents and siblings love them now:)
    I have a question. I’m a student, who love crochet animals, but I don’t have money for this hobby. Can I use your pattern and sell some kitties (price will be low, I need only yarn)? I will indicate you as author of this pattern💖
    (I’m trying to use English translator, sorry if something was unclear)

• Hello! So glad you have enjoyed the pattern. Yes, you are welcome to sell kitties that you have made yourself. All the best!